Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Movies in Review

The countdown is on- only 5 more days of Christmas vacation. 5 more blissful days of no responsibility, sleeping late, and not killing myself over homework. Ah well, all good things must come to an end I suppose. But really- this break has been better than just "good" so far. I've had tons of time to relax. I've read a ton of books, drunk wayyy to much Starbucks, and caught up on some tv I've missed. And of course, I've watched a boat-load of sweet movies. And, since I'm such an avid movie buff, I thought I'd just share what I thought about a few of them. Enjoy!
"Me and Orson Welles"- Not many people know about this movie. And to be honest, I think thats a shame. I went into the theatre with low expectations about the film, and was pleasantly surprised. This film is a MUST SEE for all theatre kids ( esp. Act One members), since the story revolved around a production of a Shakespeare. If your not fluent in Shakespearean verse, or in theatre lingo, I can see where this film would be a stretch for you. But the movie itself is a visual treat, set in the heart of New York. Zac Efron did a nice job in the film, although the stand out star in my book was Christian McKay (the one and only Orson!). I didn't care for Claire Danes all that much, but that may have just been due to the character she portrayed. The story was fresh, funny, and sometimes unfortunate in its circumstances. All in all- Great. Only problem? Zac's shoes...Converses were so not around back then. Trailer link below:
The Princess and the Frog- What can I say? I love Disney! And yes, I know. I'm five years old. But anyway, this cartoon had a lot to live up to, and it did not disappoint. The songs, the animation, the story- all such fun. My favorite song in the movie was "Almost There", sung by the princess at the start of the story. The only downer to the movie had to do with the villain- although he was quite the character, the voodoo performed was a bit much for the little kids in the audience. But oh well. Clip link below:
Nine- Risque, raunchy, and all that jazz left members of the audience feeling like they'd been on quite the ride by the end of this movie. Rob Marshall proves yet again that he is the master of the "movical". Although not quite as funny or story driven as Chicago, this film was (in my opinion) even more beautiful technically than the Best Picture winner. The plot was simply tragic, and Marion Cotillard was SUPURB as Louisa Contini. Penelope Cruz was predictably raunchy in the film, but she nailed her song like no one else, so props to her. Already gleaning Golden Globe nominations, this film is something to talk about. * can't recommend it to boys though. Sorry! Trailer below:
Julie and Julia- Amy Adams. Meryl Streep. A cooking blog. Could you ask for anything more? I think not, friends. All in all, this movie was good fun. Although a tad slow at times, the viewer enjoyed two intertwined plot lines (both true stories!) that were each entertaining in their own way. I especially enjoyed the relationship between Julie and her husband. Talk about adorable. Only drawback? I wasn't a big fan on the end...but you'll just have to watch it for yourself to see what you think. Trailer below:

....and that was just a few of the movies I've watched this past week :)

No comments:

Post a Comment