Sunday, November 1, 2009

Content Reflections

I'm content. So very content...and I'm not gonna lie, I'm surprised by this current attitude of mine. I'm speaking, of course about competition this past weekend. I'll kill the suspense and just say right now that we lost. BIG time. We didn't make it to state (for the first time in, like 4 years), and a ton of the components in our shows got overlooked by the adjudicators. And the thing is, I should be mad about it. Because we did a STELLAR job this weekend. Both of our shows went off very well (12th Night, in my opinion was the best time we'd ever done it) and were well received by the audiences. The problem was, the adjudicators weren't as experienced as they have been in years passed. So, that threw a new element into the competition... And yet, I'm still happy about the result. Why? Because the two shows that won needed it more than we did. One school, CATA, has put on fabulous shows in the past, but has never been quite up to the judges standards to win. This year they got the prize, and I literally couldn't be prouder or happier for their school! Although I was unable to see their show, "The Good War", they earned a win over these past years. I know they'll represent very well. The other school that went on is the opposite of CATA- they always go to state. They have like, a 15 year winning streak running. And the pressure for them not to break that streak was tremendous. I'm so glad that we don't have that kind of pressure to live up to... Both schools needed a win. And as I watched the schools celebrate last night, I realized that it was A-ok that we didn't get as recognized as we probably should have . Because the thing is, at CCS, our identity doesn't revolve around a win at a theatre competition. We do our shows to tell a story, and more importantly, to share a testimony. I think that in our loss, we were able to shine for Christ more than we ever have before. In my opinion, that in itself is something to be celebrated. And it's not like people didn't recognize our teams talent- we had directors and students speaking to us all day about our talent, maturity, and deep ability on stage. And everyone appreciates a good compliment. Anyway, all this to say, that I couldn't be more proud of our teams efforts at competition, and can't wait to see what all goes down the rest of the year. Because now with this extra time on our hands, I'm sure something epic is in store...oh but one more thing- those of you that weren't able to attend the festival this weekend really missed out- There were some great sets, and great costumes, and good "guesstures" going on :)

No comments:

Post a Comment