Sunday, November 29, 2009

A Story in Three Parts

"Dear John, There's so much I want to say to you, but I'm not sure where I should begin. Should I start by telling you that I love you?"... since I'm sure you have been to the movies in the past few weeks, I know you have probably seen the trailer for the new film "Dear John" coming out sometime this next year. Over the break, I decided to read the book that this future film was based on while in the mountains. Having now finished the book, I have mixed feelings about the movie that is coming out. I honestly don't know if it will be able to capture the tale that Nicholas Sparks penned. All in all, the novel is a typical Sparks- good and emotional, like all of his other novels. But with "Dear John" it was all to real for me. Although on a deeper level, "Dear John" presented a relationship that I had seen before at times in my life and the lives of my friends/family. There was one point where I had to put the book down and walk away I was so angry with the situation being presented. I could relate to both John and Savannah in the story at different points, which, in many ways, made it hard to read. The story follows a relationship in three parts: The beginning, middle, and end. The reader is made aware of this on the first pages of the prologue- so you've been warned! Anyway, the story in its entirety was heartbreakingly beautiful, although not at all the way you imagined it to be... Not gonna lie, the end got a tad bit soap-opera-ish for me. So now, as I sit here thinking about it, I really wish that fictional characters could talk. Because if they could, I would ask John one question. "Knowing what you do now, about how this would all pan out, would you do it again?"...as you can see, this book struck a chord with me. You should read it and see what I'm talking about.

No comments:

Post a Comment