Sunday, October 25, 2009

The Family Blessing

Every fall, the Haigler family ( Thats mom's side. Hence the other last name) all come up to Charlotte for "the annual family reunion". We all joke and say its to earn our "Family 15", because all we ever do is talk and eat. Really thats it- three days of concentrated gluttony. And can I just say, no family can do it up like the Haigler clan. We're talking smoked Alaskan salmon and shrimp from Uncle Dane from Alaska, fresh blueberry crumble made with mountain blueberries, turnips, grilled chicken and pulled pork brought in from Spoons, my mom's pasta salad, hash brown casserole that gives the Cracker Barrel a run for its money, mountain cheese grits, potato salad, Coconut cake, Swiss chocolate cake, Etc. Etc. Etc! All in one glorious weekend... But the eating isn't totally uncalled for, because the reason we get together is far more important- Each year, we get together to celebrate my great grandmother- we called her Mudder. She died a few years ago, but it is truly a life worth celebrating- she was 96!!! So, needless to say, the weekend is always full of funny stories about a lady who I spent most of my child hood with. Also, this year we had even more to celebrate- a sweet lady who has been very special to our family- Annie May, my great grandmother's best friend and housekeeper- just turned 95! So it was a celebration/birthday bash!!! I'm sitting here on the couch surrounded by all my family, some of whom I don't even know, and I'm feeling super loved. Because, not many families are blessed with the chance to get together every year like we are. And for the most part, we all get along so well! Its just been a weekend full of laughs (thanks to Uncle Bob), secrets (thanks to the cousins!), and smiles from everyone. The party's about to wind down I think...sad. But I guess I'll just have to look forward to next year even more now! So, even though I'm about to bust from all the food and fun, I'm also chock full of joy. God is so good :)

No comments:

Post a Comment