Thursday, October 15, 2009

No Biz Like Showbiz

So I've been thinking this week, and somewhere down the line I got to reminiscing about the previous shows I've done. And during this little journey down memory lane, I came to three conclusions- 1) That there isn't a year that I haven't done at LEAST 2 shows since I was in 3rd grade. Basically there are few times in my life that I can look back on and say "Hey I wasn't in a musical/play/ballet then..." and I don't mind that in the least bit. I guess that goes to show just how much I love what I do. I mean hey, in what other pastime do you get the chance to do things like get adopted, die, get married four times, poison people, be a villain, move to a new city, or play a mythical dragon and a baby duck- all the while having the chance burst into song at random intervals?!? 2) If I went back in time, chances are, I could do a much better job with some of the roles I've had in previous productions if I had the chance. Life experience is a key part to being able to relate to a role. And lets be honest- what 8th grader can relate to the troubles of Tzeitel, a jewish girl who only wants to marry the guy she loves, and not the man the matchmaker picked for her? I know I couldn't. Or what about Abby Brewster, old yet dangerous murderess who is only trying to "help" those that are all alone? Again, not little 7th grade me. So, I guess I would love to go back in time and visit Abby, or Tzeitel, or even Bella Cohen again. I think maybe now I could do their personas a little more justice. And 3) Theatre is the most academic thing ever. The overflowing pool of knowledge I have gained is priceless- I can name all the counties of Iowa thanks to the Music Man. The great depression and Herbert Hoover are second nature thanks to Annie. And I will never lose the color category in "scategories" thanks to Joseph's awesome coat of many colors. Thats just naming a few of the nuggets of wisdom I've earned.

No comments:

Post a Comment