Monday, October 26, 2009

Preoccupation

I've noticed something. And it bothers me. ALOT. Our community is preoccupied. With todays world of social activity and technology, whether it be ipods, cell phones, laptops, radio, or whatever, no one ever just listens to people talk anymore. Its infuriating. Maybe its just me, but every time I open my mouth to say something it feels like I'm interrupted by someone having to "tweet that" or "finish this song" or "talk to someone more important than you at THIS VERY SECOND". Another common occurrence in my day to day is this- I'll be talking to someone, and then out of nowhere, they'll just turn their backs and rush off to see or talk to someone else. Why? Because people are in their own little universes, and can't be put off track by what you have to say. We are so absorbed with multi- tasking and staying busy, that we miss so much. I don't think anyone has heard a word I've said for the past several months- and those of you that sit down and read blogs, well, your the exception to this rule. But the rest of you that happen to stumble across this- I know exactly what your thinking: "Who is she to talk? She probably does the same thing." And you're absolutely right. But due to my current circumstances, I haven't had an ipod in 4 months, and texting is a rarity for me. And thats when I made this little realization, and I vowed to try to do better about being so caught up. And the funny thing was, as I tried I realized the full impact of the situation. Because when you try to get a sentence out 8 times and can't because no one cares to come out of their own little universe and listen, then you know we're getting towards rock bottom. So, say hello to people tomorrow- Don't just pass them by. And keep tweeting to a minimum. And think twice before blowing off someone trying to have a conversation with you....you never know. It could end up being exactly what you need to hear.

2 comments:

  1. Honey! You know I am there for you to listen to you whenever I can (or when I am in town). Love you and can't wait till Thanksgiving! <3 Your cousin Kayla Sydney

    ReplyDelete
  2. KAYLA!!! Oh my goodness! Love u 2, and btw- I'm counting down till Thanksgiving! so excited <3

    ReplyDelete